Hard water is a very common term and we have heard about it at some point. Hard water has become an increasingly common term of recent and its presence seems to carry with it some negative effects. Firstly, hard water is water that is of a high concentration of mineral content with the minerals being chemical elements or compounds, or a combination of both. This chemical has particular effects on the different surfaces they encounter, and as a result, may have a different outcome, however, most of the outcomes of these encounters are mostly negative.
When hard water is present in your home, it comes with a lot of disadvantages to you. Some of these disadvantages may be minor and manageable, but others can prove to be harmful. Some of the disadvantages associated with hard water includes:
- It ruins clothes: Water is one of the key ingredients in doing laundry. When hard water is used for this procedure, it can ruin the clothes. The hard water leaves residual deposits of the chemical compounds on your clothes, this causes the fabric to become very light and start to loosen easily. This can lead to your clothes getting torn very easily, without any force applied or any contact with sharp objects. It can also cause lint to appear on your clothes, making them look untidy even when they have just been cleaned.
- It ruins appliances: We use appliances for a lot of household activities. Ranging from cooking to heating up water, most of these activities rely on water. When hard water is all that is available, there can be undesirable results. When you heat hard water, the excessive chemical components are also heated up, but they don’t just evaporate, rather, they are broken down and changed into a different form of chemical which also had a negative impact. The substance formed, quotes and deforms the appliance, altering not only the appearance, but can end up damaging the appliance and prevent it from working.
- It can have negative effect on the skin: Water is necessary especially for taking a bath. Taking a bath or cleaning parts of our body, requires water and when the water that is used is hard, it can have negative effects on the skin. The chemical components of hard water and their excessive concentrations are usually reactive with the skin. This can cause allergic reactions, inflammations and in some cases infections. All these conditions are not desirable and can cause further negative situations.
- It defaces bathroom equipment: The bathroom is easily the room in the home with the most need for water. The activities carried out in the bathroom all involve water and cleaning the bathroom also involves water. When hard water is present in the home, it can have a negative effect on the bathroom equipment, with constant usage of water in the bathroom, the chemical components of the water cling to the surface of the equipment, and will do so continually until they accumulate and deface the surface of the equipment, creating an undesirable appearance.
- It is unsafe for drinking: We cannot do without water and drinking is one of the key uses of water. When water is hard, the excessive amounts of chemical elements in the water pose a great threat to us and as such, cannot be consumed. In the event that such water is consumed, it can cause illness, and have other effects on an individual.
- It does not easily lather with soap: This is the most popular effect of hard water and is sometimes the defining feature. Hard water is famously known for not easily forming lather with soap and when it does, it usually require excessive amounts of soap. This has other implications in other parts of the home and is usually an unwanted effect.
- It can ruin your plumbing: Hard water can have a very pronounced effect on the plumbing system of a home. Since the plumbing is responsible for providing water to all distribution points, there is a lot of water moving through it. When the water flowing through the plumbing is hard, the chemical compounds present in the water are deposited in solid particles throughout the pipes. When such deposits are continuous, they accumulate till they are large enough, and then the can cause a major problem. The large particles can block the plumbing system and when this happen, the amount of water flowing, causes the pipes to burst, which can cause further problems.
- It can ruin your drainage: Similar to the plumbing, the drainage handles removal of water from all the outlets in the home and when hard water is involved, can cause a clogged drainage or a ruptured pipe.
- It can ruin your hair: One of the key aspects of personal grooming is hair care. Without frequent care, hair can become unpleasant and even produce repulsive smells. As a result of this, it is important to provide adequate care for the hair and washing is one of the ways to achieve it. When hard water is used for such a process, the chemical components of hard water react with hard water and can cause various unwanted effects on the hair. You may wonder, how does hard water affect hair? And also check how you can help fix such problems should they ever arise.
- It can incur unplanned expenses: cost can be a deciding factor for a lot of activities, and it can also influence maintenance practices. With all the other effects of hard water, and the financial implications of addressing each problem, you can end up incurring a long bill for all these repairs, and some of these repairs are urgent and cannot be put on hold, which can cause you to spend money which may be otherwise spent in other areas, and can alter other plans.
With all these factors and problems caused by hard water, preventive measures may be the best line of action. Water softeners are the best way to prevent any of the above-mentioned problems. You can check out fleck 5600sxt water softener and prevent any problems that can arise from hard water.